Our goal for this service is to have you passing Google’s Core Web Vitals metrics and help you rank higher in Google
Google’s Core Web Vitals (CWV) metrics are a set of standardized site speed metrics gathered from real people visiting your website that use Google Chrome. This is the data that Google uses in it’s ranking algorithm and failing these metrics will cause errors and warnings to appear in Google Search Console.
These metrics are fantastic for website owners, managers and marketers as they reflect what’s happening in the real world and give us hard data to work with when optimizing websites for speed and an actual set of numbers to aim at.
With this service, we optimize your site for real world site speed, revalidate your site in Google Search Console and followup 28 days later to ensure you’re passing.
Good quality hosting is a key requirement for passing the Core Web Vitals so this service also includes an optional hosting migration if it’s required. If you don’t currently have a CDN service we’ll get you setup with Cloudflare – if you’re targeting a worldwide or international audience or have very high traffic, we strongly recommend Cloudflare’s APO service at $5/mo which will significantly speed up the site for international visitors and reduce load on your hosting.
If you’re ready to get started with this service now, click here or hit the Order Now button. Once you’ve completed the checkout process the system will provide an onboarding form for you to complete with your site details. At a minimum, we’ll need a WordPress admin level logon and FTP or hosting admin access.
If you’re interested in this service but not sure if it’s for you, click here to submit a FREE site sped audit & review and once of the team will come back to you with advice and recommendations.
If you’re not looking for a service at all and want to DIY, try testing your site in SiteSpeedBot.com, our free site speed test tool. It 100% free and in around 90 seconds can give you detailed site speed recommendations most other tools won’t
More About This Service:
Note that our WordPress Maintenance & Support Plans include both Core Web Vitals Optimization, high speed hosting AND ongoing patching and WordPress maintenance and may be a better fit if you’re a small business, pricing starts at $39/month with a $239 setup fee.
Our Core Web Vitals service is best suited to small and local business sites and smaller Woocommerce sites but not necessarily high traffic, mission critical or enterprise sites.
If you have a high monetized site, a site that is mission critical where changes need to be tested on a staging site first or where you have an existing dev team that will be doing the work, our Consult & Implementation Service is probably a better fit. With our Consult service, we do a comprehensive site speed audit in advance, create a detailed action plan and then schedule in a time to discuss and plan implementation. We discuss any potential risks in advance BEFORE making changes. Work can be done by our dev team or we can work with your existing dev team.
More About Core Web Vitals & Google PageSpeed Insights Scores:
As per above, CWV metrics are real world speed metrics or what Google refers to as “field data”.
Google Pagespeed Insights Scores (Google’s speed test tool) are “synthetic metrics” or “lab data”. Pagespeed Insights (PSI) scores are useful BUT what we really care about is passing core web vitals.
It’s possible to get a 100 score in a PSI test and have poor or completely failing core web vital metrics and vice versa.
With this service we focus on the three core web vitals metrics as well as three other important metrics, these metrics and our goals for them are:
TTFB or time to first byte (aka server response time) – we want this at 0.1-0.2 seconds in the country where the site is hosted and 0.2-0.5 internationally. This is a web vitals metric (not a core metric) but its key for that snappy, instant loading feeling.
FCP or first contentful paint time under 1.8 seconds – this is the time at which the user sees something start to load. It’s the time at which the first piece of content appears. Again this is a web vitals metric (not core web vital) but is important for user experience.
LCP or largest contentful paint – this is one of the three core web vitals and we want this under 2.5 seconds for 75%+ of your visitors. LCP time is the time when the largest piece of content on the page appears. To the user this is essentially when they perceive the site as being loaded.
CLS or cumulative layout shift – this is also a core web vital metric but isn’t a speed, it’s a calculated number based on how much the page moves around while loading. You’ve probably had an experience of layout shift where you go to click on a part of the page and it suddenly shifts and your mouse is in the wrong spot – that’s layout shift. We need this number under 0.1 for a passing grade.
Page size or page weight in megabytes (MB) – this is not a Google metric BUT is absolutely critical in ensuring the page loads fast. We ideally need all pages under 1.5mb. Pages over 3mb will almost always fail the Core Web Vitals test and we see SEO ranking issues with sites that have a number of pages over 5mb+.
Questions before ordering
Turnaround Time: Typically 2-7 business days once all required logons are provided. This may be longer depending on whether any additional information or back and forth with you is required.
NOTE that Core Web Vitals scores are based on a 28 day average and depending on how poor your speed is, it may take a full 28 days after optimization is done to get a passing score.
If you’re not sure if this service is for you, submit a FREE site speed audit & review here and one of the team will review your site and advise what’s doable.
There’s 100+ steps in our optimization process, here are some of the key technical optimizations:
- Sitewide speed testing (within reason, where a site has 1000s of pages this often isn’t practical)
- Browser Caching Configuration & Tuning
- Page Caching Configuration & Tuning
- Database Optimization, Cleanup & Scheduled Maintenance Implementation
- 301 Redirect Optimization
- Before and After Backups (using Blogvault)
- .HTACCESS File Optimization
- Plugin Review & Pruning As Required
- Server Compression Tuning As Required
- HTTPS Implementation for HTTP2 Protocol Support AND Better SEO (if you’re not already on HTTPS)
- PHP version upgrade
- 404 Error Analysis & Rectification (sitewide)
- Cloudflare CDN Setup & Implementation for Lightning Fast Worldwide Load Times & Fast DNS Hosting (optional but strongly recommended)
- DNS Record Optimization & Tuning For Speed
- Google Tag Manager Setup & Implementation (optional but strongly recommended if you have Livechat)
- Livechat Lazy Loading Configuration
- Image & Video Lazy Loading Configuration (if appropriate for your theme)
- Advanced Image Compression and Optimization With Support For .Webp Next Generation Image File Format
- WordPress General Best Practices Review & Implementation
- Advanced Optimization – Page Prefetching & Just In Time Preloading
- Suitable for Woocommerce
- Suitable for Membership Sites
- Hosting Migration Included (if necessary, optional)
- Google PageSpeed Review Included (due to CSS & JS limitations not all sites can get an 80+ score)
- Advanced Database & Object Caching Implementation *IF Your Hosting Supports Memcached Memory Caching
- Advanced Edge Caching For Lightning Fast Worldwide Load Times & Load TTFB (requires Cloudflare APO service at $5/mo, paid to Cloudflare)
There are some elements we don’t include in this service and it’s
not suitable for all types of sites:
- Not Suitable for Enterprise or Mission Critical Sites (see our consult service)
- Consult Call Not Included (see our Consult service instead)
- This service does not include changes tested on a staging site, again see our consult service instead.